Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

EdTech 503 - Topic 5 - Preparation and Feedback of Instructional Design Project

Topic 5 - February 23 - March 15

This was the most challenging and exciting week so far in the EdTech 503.  I am very glad I did not have any readings this week as I am having difficulty with the readings from Larson and Lockee's book, Streamlined ID: A practical guide to instructional design. Although I find it informative, the writing style is not my preference and, thus, we are not a great match.

This section of time in this course was designated for the creation and feedback of our project.  In the first two weeks we prepared and wrote the first part of the instructional design project.  The last week we we given another class member's project to evaluate and had an evaluation completed for us as well.

I am quite proud of the work I did on the project so far.  I learned many things including the following:
  1. To create and distribute a survey with the use of Google Forms.  I could have used Survey Monkey but I was already familiar with this software.  I used Google forms to try something new.  I found it very easy to use but, as with most Google products, does not have the extras that a stronger software package like Survey Monkey demonstrates.
  2. To collect and analyze information from a survey.  I found this very beneficial and will use this in the future in my new role with my school board upon my return from my sabbatical. 
  3. To make flowcharts with the use of MS Word. 
  4. Create a report which shows many of the aspects expected of a good design.
The report was actually fun to do.  The information learned so far from the readings and discussions have really helped in the understanding of  instructional design.  I know it will get much more difficult in the second part of the report but I am happy with my progress so far.

The last week we were to peer evaluate a member of the class.  I used my project to compare to my colleague's project.  In comparing, I felt very good about the quality of work I had accomplished and felt strongly that I did a great job.  However, when I received my evaluation back from a colleague, I was not so sure.  My colleague made many recommendations - some I agreed with and some I did not.  This was another learning instance within this class.  Continuous evaluation is essential to having a strong design.  I definitely did not agree with the whole evaluation but some was very informative and I made some changes from these suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment