Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

School Evaluation Summary

This assignment is exactly what I was looking for when I enrolled in the MET program.  Of course I want and need to learn how to use technology, but one of my goals was to look at educational technology from an leadership position.  This assignment made me think of my school, not from a teacher's standpoint, but from the administrator's role.

I enjoyed the reading on the 2010 National Educational Technology Plan.  It was nice to compare the objectives of the US to that of my home province in Canada.  I realize that everyone is looking for the same thing - to help students learn.

Although I have never seen it before, I am very impressed with our Learning and Technology Policy Framework (our technology plan).  It is very detailed and provides information on how technology is to be used in each of our schools.  Surprisingly, neither my Board of Education or my school have their own technology plan.  All schools in our BOE use the provincial technology plan as its guide for integration of technology.

I was also very surprised by some of the results of the survey.  I am fortunate to be a member of the Career and Technology Studies team at my school.  We have all of the newest technologies in our classrooms.  The teachers like to work with the technology, but, most importantly, the students love it.  It is what happens outside of our area that is surprising.  I never realized how much teacher apathy there is toward the use of technology.  I also never realized how unavailable the technology is to many of our teachers.  I now understand their frustration when it comes to the pressures of using this technology.

Upon my return to my school, I hope to share this information with our staff.  I will be an advocate for more professional development and try to end the teacher apathy that is apparent in our school.

Darryan Memorial High School Survey

Darryan Memorial High School Summary


No comments:

Post a Comment